If you’ve ever played on your PC or Xbox One, you probably noticed that the PlayStation 4 downloads are a lot slower compared to other platforms. This is due to a design flaw in the way the PS4 console communicates with the PSN (PlayStation Network). But there are several tricks you can do to increase the download speed of the PS4.
Table of Contents
Simple Ways to Increase the Speed of PS4 Downloads
The speed with which your PS4 can download games, movies, and software depends a lot on your Internet connection. So here are some basic and practical tips to speed up your downloads on PS4:
- Download one thing at a time: avoid downloading multiple items simultaneously.
- Do not play online during downloads: The online game will be slow, and will also affect the download.
- Pause and resume: If your download appears to be stopped by a certain percentage, try pausing and resuming the download.
- Install the latest version of the system software: you should automatically download system updates as they become available, but if you have missed any upgrades, go to Settings > System software update.
- Download in sleep mode: Before putting your PS4 in sleep mode:
- In the main panel (where your games are), scroll up and to the right, and select the folder icon to open Settings.
- Select Power Saving Settings > Set available functions in standby mode.
- Turn on Stay Connected on the Internet so your console can continue to download while it is idle.
Optimizing your Internet settings for faster PS4 downloads
PS4 downloads are usually slow due to a poor Internet connection and are generally not a problem with the console itself.
Problems with the Internet may be caused by faulty hardware or limitations set by your Internet service provider.
Depending on your internet plan, you may be limited in relation to the data that you can download at one go. If you find your internet is slow, consider upgrading to a better plan or switching providers.
Your modem and router also have limitations on the amount of data they can handle at one time. Even if you are paying for a high-level Internet plan, you will only be able to take full advantage of it if your hardware is capable of supporting it. You can contact your Internet provider to make sure that the equipment is compatible with the speed of your Internet package.
Optimizing your Internet and Wi-Fi settings does not just mean paying for faster internet; There are several free tricks you can try to make to improve the efficiency of your connection:
- Router Location:
- Download when no one else is using the internet: A congested Wi-Fi network may delay PS4 downloads, so if another user is downloading something at the same time, both downloads will be slow.
- Connect to the cable: To bypass Wi-Fi problems, you can connect your PS4 directly to your modem via an Ethernet cable for faster downloads.
Alternating PS4 DNS Servers
Adjusting your console’s DNS settings is an effective way to speed up your PS4 downloads.
Domain Name System (DNS) servers are responsible for translating Internet addresses to their corresponding IP addresses.
To change the PS4 DNS server:
- Go to your console settings and select Network.
- Select the type of connection you will use (Wi-Fi or Network cable (LAN).
- Under “How do you want to set up the Internet connection?”, Select “Custom”.
- You’ll see some specific settings for other elements of your connection.
Do not change any of the options, just advance until you reach “DNS Settings / DNS Settings”. This is the only section you should move.
- Under “DNS Settings”, select “Manual”.
- You should enter the primary and secondary
IP addresses : IP Address Settings = Automatic
DHCP Host Name = Do Not Specify
DNS Settings = Manual
Primary DNS: 18.104.22.168
Secondary DNS: 22.214.171.124
MTU Settings: Automatic
Proxy Server: Do Not Use
Tip: You can try different DNS servers to see which works best for your location.
- Proceed with configuring the other items without changing anything and that’s it. Your PlayStation 4 has had its DNS changed.
Speed up downloading PS4 with a proxy server
If you are still dissatisfied with the speed of your downloads on PS4, you can set up a proxy server on your notebook or computer to help with the process.
- Download and install the proxy server software on your computer. Windows users can try out CCProxy for free; Mac users can try Squidman. Here, let’s show the method for Windows.
- Activate your proxy server and get your IP and port numbers. If you are using CCProxy, this information can be found in the options menu.
- Set up a new Internet connection on your PS4. Go to Settings > Network > Configure Internet Connection > Use Wi-Fi > Personalize and select your router.
- Select Automatic or Do not Specify, so that everything will arrive on the Proxy Server page.
- Enter the IP address and port number of your proxy server.
Your PS4 will now use your computer as a proxy server, which should result in faster downloads.
Note: With this setting, your PS4 will only be able to connect to the Internet through your proxy server. Therefore, you can reconfigure your settings when you finish downloading large files.
If you need help, have doubts or concerns, do not hesitate to leave a comment in the comment box below and we will try to help you as soon as possible!