Windows 10 users have reported a problem involving the operating system search bar. The reports are that the bar remains empty and does not allow typing or showing results, and the problem would have manifested itself after the last system update, made available on January 28th.
The Microsoft showed off a statement on its reporting Message Center that the problem has been resolved for most users and is working to remove it completely and provide a next update. For those who are still unable to use the search bar, the company provided guidance.
How to solve the search bar problem in Windows 10
At first, Microsoft recommends that the user restart the computer. If the problem persists, the recommendation is that the search bar process be restarted.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open the Task Manager. In the top menu, click on “Details”;
- Look for processes called SearchUI.exe or SearchApp.exe. Click on each one and then on “End Task”. After that, the bar should return to normal operation.
A second recommended option is through the Microsoft troubleshooter. To do this, just follow the following steps:
- Open the “Settings” window from the “Start” menu. Click on “Update and Security”;
- Then select the “Troubleshooting” side tab;
- In the new section, go to “Search and Indexing” and click on “Perform troubleshooting”;
- The system itself will try to identify the problems. Then just follow the instructions in the window.