Did you clean your phone and lost your message history? The good news is you can recover deleted photos from WhatsApp (and videos too ) without much difficulty – by removing a file, Android will not delete your media completely from the internal memory of the device.
You can do this with the help of a file manager, or with the cloud using automatic backup of Google Drive or iCloud without using any program.
How to recover photos from WhatsApp without using apps
- Access the “files” or “my files” folder on Android;
- Select a subfolder that should be named “media,” “images,” or “photos”;
- Inside it, there will be a WhatsApp folder (and other apps like Instagram);
- Note that some phones have a folder for internal/local storage.
- Others will separate media between “received” and “sent”;
Recover photos from WhatsApp with file manager
If you’re not finding it, you can do this with the help of a file manager or data-cleaning apps such as File Manager or another option in the Google Play Store. You can access folders in the internal memory.
- Download the file manager;
- With the app open, tap the main menu and select “internal memory”;
- Look for the “media”, “photos” or “videos;
- Select the WhatsApp folder “WhatsApp Images” or similar;
- Select the image you want to retrieve, click the three-point menu;
- Move this file to another folder, such as “gallery” or “downloads”.
Retrieve photos from WhatsApp using Google Drive
If none of this works, you can restore your Google Drive message backup (if you’ve enabled automatic backup of conversations and photo and video sharing).
Keep in mind that if you want to restore deleted photos and videos, you should not make a new backup before restoring, or WhatsApp will restore the backup you just created on your phone (without the photos or videos you are uploading). searching).
Force WhatsApp restore through Google Drive
- Go to “Settings”;
- Under Applications, search for “WhatsApp”;
- Choose the option “Storage” and “Clear/Delete data”;
- Android will request a confirmation, click “OK.”
When you open WhatsApp, you’ll need to sign in with your phone number again. When doing this, the messenger will check if there is any backup automatically. If the process takes too long, close the application and reopen it on your phone.
Enter your phone number into WhatsApp
- Open WhatsApp again;
- Enter your phone number (the same);
- Please wait for Google Drive backups;
- A backup will be found automatically;
- Choose the “Restore” option ;
- The content will be restored successfully and your photos recovered.
Recover photos from WhatsApp on iPhone
On iOS, you can only restore a backup from iCloud – the Apple Cloud.
Before that, make sure there is an automatic backup active on your iCloud.
- To do this, go to WhatsApp Settings;
- Under Conversations, select Conversation Backup.
If there is no backup, you will not be able to restore it, but keep in mind that you can still enable automatic backup for the future. It is also important to check the date of the last backup, to make sure it has what you want to recover.
- Uninstall WhatsApp from iPhone;
- Install WhatsApp again on iOS;
- In restoration, you must include your new number;
- WhatsApp will detect that there is a backup saved on iCloud;
- After that, just follow the onscreen instructions to restore your files.