The Lenovo decided to pamper and surprise their fans by announcing without fear the new Motorola Moto G5S and Motorola Moto G5S Plus, the most elegant versions, powerful and premium range Moto G5. Today we will learn how to root this Android as well as install a recovery, the famous TWRP.
Both smartphones were already presented in August. However, the brand has confirmed that both devices will receive Android Oreo as soon as possible. However, if you want to install Android Oreo unofficially (through a custom ROM or custom ROM like LineageOS 15 ), you will need root permissions, root access to your Android.
What is “root” on Android?
In technological slang the process of root or router the Android smartphone allows the user to have the permissions of a super administrator of this operating system based on Linux.
Since Android is based on Linux, root permissions allow you to control and manage all the functions of your smartphone, which can bring several benefits as well as some associated risks, especially for a less experienced user.
What is TWRP?
According to XDA, this is an Android touch-based recovery environment. Unlike other environments/recovery systems, TWRP does not need to be controlled through the volume and power buttons of your smartphone. It has a touch-based UI (interface) that allows more intuitive control and navigation.
Note that all Android devices already bring a preinstalled recovery environment so you can restore your smartphone to the factory default settings, upgrade your operating system, and even perform other diagnostic tasks. TWRP is an unofficial alternative to the factory-installed recovery mechanism.
It also supports CWM ( clockwork mod ) themes and allows you to install custom ROMs such as lineages 15 already with Android Oreo as soon as it is available, as well as back up the data through this recovery environment.
What are the risks to your Android?
For security, Android smartphones bring protection that limits user access to some important system data, locations, and folders, as an example.
This is so that you do not delete or delete some application (App) or system file crucial for the proper functioning of the device.
When Android has root permissions you should know what you’re doing so you do not make your device a real unusable brick. In addition, if any installation goes awry and your smartphone is damaged (do not connect properly for example), certain brands refuse to repair the equipment under warranty.
Root on the Motorola Moto G5S Plus
First, we are not responsible for any damage or adverse situation that may arise during this procedure. The steps are relatively simple but there is always some risk involved.
If you do not master these lines stops. Use your Motorola or any other Android as it is. If you know the advantages, disadvantages and potential risks of root access and still want to proceed, then come on.
Before you begin, do not forget to save all the data and information you want to keep!
Then you will have the guide, step-by-step to install TWRP first and then the process of assigning root permissions to your Motorola Moto G5S Plus codenamed “Sanders”.
First, you will have to unlock the bootloader of this Android. For this, you must follow the official guide provided and elaborated by Motorola itself, here.
Step-by-step guide for the Motorola Moto G5S Plus
- Step 1 will download TWRP to your Android – HERE
- Step 2 will enter the Android bootloader mode – with the Motorola Moto G5S Plus off press the On / Off button + Download Volume button and release as soon as you enter the bootloader mode.
- Step 3 is to connect your Android to the PC (Windows computer)
- Step 4 will install the drivers ADB – HERE – and Fastboot on your PC
- Step 5 is to enter the command line (CMD) or Terminal, enter the download folder and run – fast boot flash recovery twrp.img
- Step 6 will run through the same method – fast boot flash recovery twrp.img (rename the recovery to twrp.img).
By completing this process you will have TWRP installed on your smartphone.
Root for Motorola Moto G5S Plus:
- Step 1 will be to download the Superuser – HERE.
- Step 2 will enter recovery mode. To do this, first, enter the fastboot recovery mode by pressing the Volume (decrease) and then Volume (increase) buttons.
- Step 3 will clear Dalvik and Cache ( wipe Dalvik and wipe cache).
- Step 4: Install the .zip file from the memory card (SdCard) and select the ZIP Superuser you just downloaded in step 1.
- Step 5 will restart your Motorola Moto G5S Plus.
At the end of this process, you should already have root permissions on your Android to later install some ROM, for example.
Again, perform this procedure at your own risk. Although relatively easy, there is always a risk margin associated with the root process.
If you need help, have doubts or concerns, do not hesitate to leave a comment in the comment box below and we will try to help you as soon as possible!