All the videos you play, regardless of the platform they’re running on, depend on codecs, which are responsible for loading video, audio, and other data. It should also be noted that there is not only one type of codec and its selection is extremely important to keep the final video file balanced between good size and quality.
If you have a collection of videos on your computer and it is taking up a lot of disk space, the solution may be to convert them to the H.265 codec, which is able to offer decent quality audio and video allied to a good final size. Here’s how to convert videos to H.265 format on your computer.
Table of Contents
How it works
To convert from one codec to another in Windows, it is necessary to use third-party programs, since the system does not have native functions for this task. In addition, it is necessary to emphasize that the speed of the process ends up varying according to its processor and video card, that is used in the conversion consuming resources, being able to leave the machine slow.
How to Convert Videos to H.265 Codec
This codec, being younger, is still not supported by many video converters. Tech Khiladi has chosen to use a free tool for this tutorial, the HandBrake program. Check how to use it:
- Access this link to download HandBrake ;
- Once you have downloaded the file, perform your installation normally. It is not necessary to change any parameter of it;
- When you open the program, click on “File” and select the video file to be converted;
- On the new screen, go to the “Video” tab and change the “Video Codec” option to “H.265 (x265)”. Here, if you wish, you can also change other options such as the number of frames per second of the video;
- Next to “Save as”, click “Browse” and select the folder where the converted video file will be saved;
- Finally, back to the program screen, click “Start Encode”.
Now, just navigate to the folder where the file was saved to play it or copy it to another device. This codec, in theory, manages to decrease files by up to 35% of its size when converted from the H.264 codec, its predecessor. The difference in size, of course, varies according to the time of the video, audio codec and other factors.
What to do if the video does not play correctly?
Because it is a newer codec, if you do not have the necessary files installed on your computer or mobile phone, the video may not be displayed correctly. If that happens to you, the most practical solution is to download a video player with H.265 support such as VLC Player, which is available for both computers and mobile phones.
If you need help, have doubts or concerns, do not hesitate to leave a comment in the comment box below and we will try to help you as soon as possible!