Standard Windows 10 configuration may let thumbnail upload in File Explorer slow. Here’s how to solve this problem!
If you work with many videos or images on a Windows PC, when opening a folder with such files, you may have noticed that it slows down until it is fully loaded. This problem is actually caused by a standard configuration of Windows 10, which does not come with its parameters optimized for this task.
Still, you can work around this issue and give Windows a bit more speed to load these thumbnails. Here’s how to speed up loading of Windows 10 File Explorer thumbnails.
Before proceeding to this tutorial, as well as any other changes made to the Windows settings, it is advisable to create a restore point for your machine and make a backup of your most important files.
How to speed up loading the Windows 10 file thumbnail
The configuration to be performed to speed this process needs to be done in the Windows registry since there is no native option for this. See the process:
- Press the “Win + R” keys together to open the “Run” screen and type:regedit. Press”Enter”;
2. Access the menu on the left side of the screen, this path: Computer\ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer;
3. In a blank space on the right side of the window, right-click and go to the “New> DWORD Value (32-bit)” option;
4. For the new key, give this name: Max Cached Icons;
5. When double-clicking the key, set its value to “4096” and click “Ok”;
6. Restart the computer.
After you have performed these steps, after the computer restarts, the thumbnails should load faster. If the expected effect does not occur and you want to reverse this change, simply remove the key that was added by the Windows Registry Editor.
If you need help, have doubts or concerns, do not hesitate to leave a comment in the comment box below and we will try to help you as soon as possible!