Computers are slow for a number of reasons, but most of them come down to one thing: their use. Maybe it’s time to do a little “cleaning” and develop some habits to maintain good computer performance.We will introduce some of the most common reasons why it happens and what the solution is for you. The processes are simple and you can test on your machine.
1. Unnecessary programs and services at system startup
Although some programs, such as antivirus and firewall, should be allowed to run at startup, others like Spotify and iTunes do not need to run in the background during the boot process.
Many of the processes may waste few resources, but the accumulation of these processes may be weighing on your machine and therefore we recommend that you discard some less necessary processes.
- Windows: Press the Windows + X/Task Manager/Boot key with the right mouse button, select the programs you want to remove and select the Disable option.
- Mac: Applications/System Preferences /Users/Login Items, you should uncheck unnecessary programs.
2. Many programs running concurrently
Doing so much at the same time is exactly why we have computers, but at some point, the machine may falter and fail. The ability to run multiple programs at the same time depends in part on RAM, which allows you to switch from one program to another with fluency.
You have to be careful, some applications and open games go beyond the performance and capacity of your computer. You have the example of the tabs in your browser, if you have many open, it is guaranteed that the performance of the machine drastically low.
- In the Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del), you can see which programs are open and which features are in use.
- Turn off or shut down processes that you do not need. In Windows 10, programs are created to run in the background for some time and then automatically shut down.
3. Hard disk has crashes
Solid state drives (SSDs) do not suffer the same kind of physical hardware (HD) degradation and have longer longevity. However, SSDs are more expensive, especially if you are looking for a high capacity disk. The best and advice is to keep the system and programs of daily use on your SSD and keep the remaining files and files on a “normal” disk, the HD.
- Performs a hard disk scan in the Windows environment: Computer/right-click the disk drive / Properties / Tools / Check Now. You can also select the option “Search and try to recover bad sectors”.
- Mac: Programs / Utilities / Disk Utility, select the hard disk in question and you can follow the remaining instructions.
- Prevents dropping, tossing, or impact on the hard drive.
- Opt for a large capacity SSD.
4. The hard disk is almost full
Studies indicate that if you reach 95% capacity, computers can reduce performance by 50%. Hard disk space is occupied by programs, program updates, temporary files.
You can access the disk capacity in “My Computer” or “This PC”.
- Clean your computer, remove unnecessary and unused files. This implies the bloatware that manufacturers pre-install on computers.
- System backups and restore points can also take up a lot of space, so do not keep backup versions that you do not need.
- To increase disk space, you can opt for cloud systems.
- The Techkhiladi team recommends the program, CCleaner (Windows / Mac), to easily delete unnecessary files, excessive temporary files and everything that is “over” on your machine.
5. Low RAM
We suggest that computers have at least 2 GB of memory (RAM) for a 32-bit system and 4 GB for a 64-bit system. Although the x32 bit system, start to make no sense nowadays.
When you upgrade to memory, programs do not need to exchange so much information stored between the memory and the local file on the hard disk. The light from the hard drive may be a clue. If it is constantly active, it may be an indication that the computer is frequently exchanging information between the memory and the hard disk. It may be a sign that something else is needed!
6.Computer did not restart for a long time
Restarting the machine can be a technical solution because many programs can stay in the background, the process remains active for some reason, process errors, a myriad of reasons.
It can be a quick fix, rather than manually searching the Task Manager (Windows) or Activity Monitor (Mac) and trying to guess which process slows down the system, then restarts, and then yes, if the problem persists, seeks technical solutions.
- Close all your programs and processes, and restart your computer. You can receive the benefit of having critical system updates waiting for your installation and it will be done.
7. Can be a virus or malware
If it is not the antivirus, it may be the virus. Viruses, spyware, and other malware can easily make a good machine on a slow computer. They are known for “tinkering with everything”, from attacking your browser with advertising or phishing sites, including delaying performance.
Currently, there are free tools and very good, you have the example of Windows Defender. That includes file protection and yet complete with the addition of the firewall.
- Perform an advanced search of the files on your computer. We can recommend free use of Malwarebytes (Windows / Mac) as a cybersecurity tool.
8. System Updates
Keeps the system and drivers up to date, it is essential. Especially the graphics card drivers are the ones that have the most impact. Outdated drivers can cause a variety of problems, compatibilities, and slow performance.
- Updates the system
- Make sure you have the latest Windows / Mac updates installed.
- Update your drivers
9. Background Processes
A slow computer may be a sign that a program or process is using our system. Nowadays, without your permission, malicious web sites may have an extension that uses the processing power of your computer to mine crypto, for example.
The Cryptomining (or crypto jacking) may be the result of a malware that is installed on your computer, you have the example of Digimine. It spread through Google Chrome, into Facebook Messenger, and ran in the background, exploiting and sending information to its creator, the hacker.
- Closing Internet browser stops web-based encryption.
- You may find you have some crypto jacking malware. Opens the Task Manager (Windows) or the Activity Monitor (Mac) and looks for some strange or unknown process.
10. Is Computer clean?
Sometimes the problem is not internal, but external. This can prevent ventilation and causes the processor to lose performance, or worse, cause the computer to shut down without warning. No one wants a hot computer, heat increases the likelihood of malfunction, faults and reduces longevity.
Regarding laptops, check the air vents and vents, usually on the sides. For example, you should not place your laptop on non-rigid surfaces, this is because the user base can take shape from the laptop and hamper ventilation.
- Clean the powder. We advise you to clean the inside of your computer case, you must be careful not to damage the hardware if you can clean the fans well.
- If you do not feel comfortable doing it at home, seek the help of a professional. There are stores and specialists who can help you.
Sometimes a clean installation of Windows can work wonders for your computer. However, all your files and hard drive files will be erased, so it is essential to ensure that you have backups done.
If you need help, have doubts or concerns, do not hesitate to leave a comment in the comment box below and we will try to help you as soon as possible!