Your computer is not able to start Windows, one of the most practical options to at least recover your files is to use a Linux distribution. So, because it is not always possible to have another machine to get Linux, a phone with Android may end up being the ideal solution.
Through a mobile phone with the Google system, you can put a Linux distribution on a pen drive, using it to boot the computer. Here’s how to use Android to boot your PC with Linux.
Table of Contents
To carry out the process below it is necessary that you have an OTG to USB cable so that the pen drive can be connected to your device. In many cases, the gadgets themselves come with this accessory in their box.
Getting the Linux distribution
Before beginning the steps to put Linux on the pen drive, you must first obtain the ISO file from a distribution. In case, the application used in the tutorial does not perform this step, then you can get a Linux from the suggestions that the Techkhiladi suggested in these matters:
- 5 Linux distributions to stay in place for your Windows 7
- 5 Linux distributions to speed up your old PC
You can access the links of the distributions on your cell phone and download them. The files should preferably be saved to the internal storage of the phone due to reading speed issues, but in case your SD card is a class 10, this should not be a problem.
Placing the distribution on the pen drive
The process to put the distribution on the Pendrive is very simple and the time it takes for it to complete depends on both the speed of the devices mentioned above and the speed of the pen drive, too. Check how to proceed:
- Go to Google Play and download the EtchDroid app ;
- Open the application that has just been downloaded and tap “Write raw image or ISO”;
- In the open file explorer, locate the downloaded file and select it;
- Wait for EtchDroid to finish loading the list of connected USB drives and select the one referring to your pen drive;
- In the message that appears, touch “Ok” and then the icon as indicated in the image below;
- Finally, touch “Flash image” and wait for the process to complete.
Once you have completed all the steps above, simply connect the pen drive and configure the computer’s BIOS to give boot priority in it.
If you need help, have doubts or concerns, do not hesitate to leave a comment in the comment box below and we will try to help you as soon as possible!