You need to write a note on a photo or an image using your Mac and for this you are looking for a program to do this. The good news is that in this guide we will list a series of software to explain how to write on photos and images with Mac in a few simple steps.
How to write on photos and images with Mac via Preview
Apple integrates a pre-installed solution that allows you to apply a writing to the photo or the desired image without resorting to third-party tools: its name is Preview. Let’s talk about a very useful tool that, in addition to opening PDF files, allows you to make small changes such as adding text, shapes and even emoticons.
Let’s see how to use Preview:
- From your Mac, open the photo or image you want to edit with Preview and click on the tool button at the top (a circle containing the tip of a pencil ).
- In the next step, click on the square icon containing a large letter T to access the Text tool.
- At this point, a section with the word Text will appear on the photo or image opened with Preview. Just double click on it to change it.
- Again using the tool, you can change the color, size and font by pressing the Text style tool, which is the letter A in the upper right corner.
How to write on photos and images with Mac via GIMP
If you were happy with the features offered by Preview of Apple or look for a more advanced software and feature-rich, then we suggest using GIMP. It is a very famous and completely free program which is considered by many to be one of the best alternatives to Adobe Photoshop.
Let’s see how to make the most of it:
- Open Safari or the default browser you use on your Mac, connect to the download page on the official website and press the Download GIMP xxx directly button (to download directly) or Download GIMP xxx via BitTorrent (to download the program via torrent file) found under the GIMP for macOS section.
- Once the installation is complete, start GIMP and click on the File menu at the top right of the main screen.
- At this point, choose Open from the menu that appears and select the photo or image you wish to write to.
- Using the Tool Panel section of GIMP, press the Text tool (the letter A ) and then click on the point of the photo or image where you want to add the text.
- Now you just have to type what you prefer using the appropriate formatting tools (eg color, type of characters, size of text and so on).
- Make the appropriate changes, click on the File menu at the top right of GIMP, choose Export as from the menu that opens, set the export format and the destination folder on your Mac and click on Export to complete the operation.
How to write on photos and images with Mac through Movavi Photo editor
As an alternative to GIMP and Preview of Apple, we recommend Movavi Photo editor. It is a very simple program to use which allows you to easily add text to photos or images.
Although it is a free software, there are some limitations: for example, a watermark is added to the output files, you can not capture a screenshot and you can upload directly to Facebook up to a maximum of 10 images. Apart from these minor limitations, however, you can take advantage of the program without further inconvenience.
Having said that, here are the steps to follow:
- Connect to the appropriate Web page of Movavi Photo editor and download it by clicking on the Free Download button.
- Once the installation is complete, start the program and click on the Create images button in the middle of the software window.
- In the next step, select the image or photo on which to apply the writing and press the Text icon in the upper right corner.
- Now, click on Add text that you find in the right sidebar and click on Edit by double clicking on the file.
- Continue by typing the text you want to add to the image using the keyboard of your Mac.
- If you want, you can also change the font, color, outline width, and more using the right bar.
- Finish all the changes you want, press the File menu at the top left and choose Save to overwrite the original file or Save as to create a new one.
How to write on photos and images with Mac: other solutions
In addition to the programs you have just seen, you can find other software on the Internet to write on pictures and images using your Apple computer. Find the complete list below.
- Adobe Photoshop
- PhotoScape X
- Pollar Photo Editor ( macOS / Web )
- Canva (Web)
- Pixlr Editor (Web)
- BeFunky (Web)