In order to speed up Internet browsing or bypass the ban on access to some websites, we will reveal in this guide how to change DNS on iPad using various solutions.
DNS: which to use on the iPad
Before getting to the heart of today’s new guide, you first need to find out the best DNS servers you can use. The solutions that we will list in the following lines are completely free and international, so you can also access those web portals blocked in your.
The first ones we recommend you rely on are Cloudflare DNS. Through a dedicated application for iOS, it is possible to change the DNS also on the 3G/4G network of the iPad in Wi-Fi + Cellular version. According to Cloudflare, its DNS offers a very high upload speed and fully respect the privacy of users as they do not keep track of data regarding the sites visited.
Even Google offers to its DNS servers that are characterized mainly for the loading speed quite high. Finally, there are OpenDNS that are quick and international.
How to change DNS on iPad from Settings
If you have a Wi-Fi-only iOS tablet, you can change the DNS of a wireless connection by simply using the Settings. Let’s see the steps to follow:
- Grab your iPad and access the Settings by pressing the gear icon you find in the iOS home screen.
- In the next step, press the option Wi-Fi and press on the i placed inside a circle at the name of the Wi-Fi network to which the iPad is connected.
- At this point, click on Configure DNS (located below the DNS section ) and choose Manual from the window that appears later.
- Continue by deleting the default DNS server by pressing the – highlighted in red next to the address (which should be 192.168.1.1 ) and tap on Delete in red that appears on the right.
- Now, tap on (+) Add server and type in the address of the selected DNS server ( Cloudflare: 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52; Google DNS: 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11 or OpenDNS: 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124 ) and on the Save button at the top right to save the changes.
Remember to repeat the same steps for each Wi-Fi network to which you connect your iPad. If you change your mind, you can restore the default settings by selecting Automatic instead of Manual within Configure DNS of the wireless connection and confirm by pressing Save.
How to change DNS on iPad via app
In case you have an iPad in Wi-Fi + Cellular version (even if the method is valid for the Wi-Fi versions only), then you can change DNS for 3G/4G connection using the app 126.96.36.199: Faster Internet for Cloudflare. It is a very simple application to use and completely free that uses a VPN.
Let’s see how to use it:
- From your iPad, proceed with the download and installation of the software from the App Store and open it once completed.
- From the screen that appears, press the Skip button at the bottom left and move the switch above the Not Configured message to ON.
- Once you press the Continue button, accept the installation of the VPN profile provided by the 188.8.131.52 app: Internet Faster.
- Complete the operation by pressing the Allow button and confirm your identity by scanning the fingerprint by Touch ID or the face via Face ID or by entering the unlock code.
From now on you will navigate using the DNS of Cloudflare from both Wi-Fi network data. If you change your mind, you can turn off the profiles of moving off the switch on the app or directly to uninstall the software from the settings of iOS.
In addition to the Cloudflare app, you can use a second software on the iPad called TunnelBear which allows you to browse through a VPN by disguising your IP address with a Japanese, British or American. This is an effective solution if you want to access a website blocked in your country. The app is free, allows you to make up to 500 MB of traffic per month and also works under the 3G/4G network.
That said, we discover the steps to follow:
- Proceed with the download and installation of the TunnelBear app from the App Store on your iPad and start it once complete.
- From the screen that opens, fill in the fields E-mail and Password and press on Create a free account. Alternatively, click on Log in and enter your credentials if you already have an account.
- In the next step, open the e-mail you received at the e-mail address set shortly before and press the Check my account button.
- Now, go back to the app and press Continue. Then move ON the switch at the top and accept the TunnelBear VPN profile installation by first pressing Continue and then Allow, then verifying your identity by scanning the face or fingerprint or with the unlock code.
- At this point, to hide your IP address, start TunnelBear and, if necessary, press the switch at the top to enable the profile.
- End the operation by choosing the country to which you want to connect using the map.
- When you have finished browsing, you can restore the default settings by moving the switch at the top of the TunnelBear app to OFF.